Q: Installing a new BCM, 2009 Pontiac G8

I'm having trouble with my Body Control Module I think - BCM. My Tire Pressure Monitoring System – TPMS and Brake Pedal Position Sensor - BPPS started giving me problems about 6 years ago and so were my brake lights that were staying on all the time. I had the recall fix done for the brake lights. The recall expired for my BPPS. So I purchased a new OEM ACDelco and they tested and installed the sensor. The BPPS did not take.

The dealership did a diagnosis that proved I need a new BCM. So I bought a new one – not a refurbished one, because I'm frugal. I would like to install it myself and drive to the dealer to have it flashed. I am wondering though if the car will start after installing the new BCM. I heard a new BCM will learn the first ignition key it sees. Is this true? Will there be other conditions? If it doesn’t start I will have to have it towed to the dealer 17 miles away. What do you think? Do you know anything about this? Thanks.

A: According to the factory repair information...

According to the factory repair information, a replacement BCM must be programmed using OEM equipment. It states the vehicle will not start and many other functions will not operate properly until programming has taken place. My advice is to have the BCM replaced by a professional with the correct equipment. This type of problem is best handled by the dealer.