Q: Excessive fuel consumption

I have a new VW 2017 Passat & it seems like the gauge is moving too quickly than usual towards empty.Example,After getting full tank,I drove just 16miles and the needle moved 1 notch down already.17 miles later of variable driving,it went down 2 notches.The mpg listing of this car is 34highway & 23 city.I had a 2009 Passat with 29Hw,19city & it wasn't like this.

A: That does sound like it's drinking a lo...

That does sound like it's drinking a lot of fuel, but it's hard to say until you actually get a good measurement. Fill the tank, but when you do, set the trigger on the second notch instead of the top one. That may insure that you are filling the tank completely. Pay attention to how far you have the nozzle in the filler neck, this will be important later. Don't top off the tank, just let it fill until the pump shuts itself off. Reset your trip meter and drive the car for a week or until you are low on gas, then go back to the same filling station and the same pump. Put the nozzle in the filler neck the same distance as before and again set the trigger on the second notch and let it cut itself off. Now you have a pretty accurate gallon figure to divide into the mileage figure on your trip meter. Mileage calculation is simple division: Miles traveled / gallons consumed. The EPA mileage estimates are always a little high, but I would expect a car that they rate at 34 highway to get at least 30. Keep in mind, though that when the car is tested by the EPA, it is run through a drive cycle that does not bring up the boost on the turbo. It's hard to resist putting your foot in it and bringing up the boost when you have a brand new turbocharged car, but if that is the way you roll, the mileage will go down significantly.Try driving it like your grandmother during the test cycle. If you think the mileage is too low, you should probably take it back to the dealer since the car is brand new.