Q: In the Dodge ram 1500 4.7 engine does coolant run through the intake manifold so if that gasket is leaking I could see loss in pow

asked by on June 21, 2017

Just replaced the radiator and thermostat the truck still runs warm suspect a head gasket leak but could it be the manifold gasket. The truck runs slightly warm still with the new parts and coolent in resiovor still goes down wondering if this style truck has coolent go by the manifold gasket

Hi there. Coolant circulates throughout the engine, including the intake manifold on V-8 Dodge engines, so it is conceivable that a gasket leak might be present. However, in most cases, the gasket damage (specifically head gasket issues) are the end product of the overheating condition and not the cause. If your engine is still running hot, then it is more than likely that you have an obstruction of coolant somewhere in the system - ranging from an air bubble after completing the recent radiator replacement (which is quite common if you didn’t correctly bleed the system), a failure of the heater control valve or even debris clogged in the heater core. I would recommend two things for you at this point. First, purchase a service and repair manual for your 2005 Dodge Ram, so you can review the coolant system diagram and trace the source of your overheating problem. The manual will also provide you with detailed steps on correctly bleeding the coolant system, which might resolve this issue. Second, if you’d like to have a second set of eyes help diagnose your problem, you can set up an overheating inspection by clicking this link.