Q: Ignition Coil/Prak Plug Issue

So my girlfriend left work yesterday and as she began to drive her engine light turned on followed by your EPC light.

She felt the car vibrating and even shaking. She mentioned that it would get more violent as she accelerated and that she felt a slight loss of power.

She took it into a mechanic that night and dropped it off. The mechanic called her back and said that it is a Ignition Coil issue and that two coils are failing. They said it would cost upwards of $850 to fix the issue.

Now I know that it shouldn't cost that much for coils and spark plugs if they are needed. I looked it up and coils from the dealership are about 38 dollars and spark plugs are 15. Ive watched a few videos and it seems like a really simple swapping of parts.

I went into the mechanic shop myself to try to get her car and they wouldn't let us take the car. they said we would ruin it and a bunch of other things.

i'd like to know if this diagnosis is correct and if i should make the fix myself? thanku

While I cannot say with certainty that ignition coils are your issue because I am not inspecting the vehicle, the symptoms you describe sound like a typical ignition coil failure. While it’s not wise to drive the vehicle with a misfire even in one cylinder as it can cause more damage, they cannot refuse to allow you to take your vehicle. If anything, they should notate your invoice as "customer refuses repairs and was advised about further engine damage", or something like that and have you sign it before taking the vehicle. That way, they are free of any liability if you continue driving the vehicle in that condition. Typically when one coil fails, the failure of others may not be far behind. It’s a matter of convenience to replace them all - along with fresh spark plugs - at the same time, rather than deal with another coil failure every couple of months. As for their price quote, I really can’t say why it is so high without knowing more particulars. Replacing the coils and plugs is surely something you can tackle yourself. If you are uncomfortable with that, click on the QUOTE icon on our page and someone will contact you with a price.

3. Ignition Coil/Prak Plug Issue