Q: Automatic transmission jerking

The automatic transmission in my car is jerking when I shift into third gear.

Hello. A common cause of transmission hard shifting is dirty transmission fluid. I suggest checking the transmission fluid. However, it is quite likely that the cause of the transmission malfunction is that the transmission module needs reprogramming. There is an update available for the transmission module of your vehicle which pertains to harsh vehicle shifting. I suggest calling the BMW service department, give them the VIN number and they will tell you if the reprogramming have been done.