Q: Won't start but all lights and radio work

asked by on October 10, 2016

All interior and exterior lights work including radio. But car won't start.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi, thanks for writing in. I would start with testing your battery with a multi meter. Even though your lights and radio are working, your battery may still not have enough voltage to start the car. Good batteries hold a charge of 12.6 volts or higher. If the battery is low, try to jump start it. If this starts your vehicle, test your alternator to ensure it is maintaining at least 14 volts. Alternators testing below 14 volts can be damaging to your battery. If jump starting didn’t work, listen closely when you turn the key. Do you hear a single click? If so, then it is probably your starter. A quick diagnostic trick for your starter is to use a metal object, like a small hammer, and knock on your starter as someone turns the key. Most of the time, this will start your vehicle. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.