Q: I want to know whether to buy a 2014 Subaru Legacy

I want to know whether to buy a 2014 Subaru Legacy. I am concerned about the possibility of getting an oil burning car. The car fax shows oil changes are regular intervals of 5000-6000, but one interval recently of just 2500 miles. The car currently has 65000 miles.

Hi there:

Actually, if I were you, I’d be glad to see that 2,500 mile oil change. It shows me that the owner is proactive about vehicle maintenance and not that you’ve got an oil burning car at all. The decision to change oil falls on the owner of the vehicle. There might be some internal monitors and reminder lights that indicate the service is due, but I seriously doubt that is what triggered the 2,500 mile oil change with this car.

If you want to be sure you’re not buying a lemon, there is a great service offered by YourMechanic.com called a pre-purchase car inspection, where one of our local ASE certified mechanics will travel to the seller’s location to inspect the used car and send the buyer a detailed email report.

3. I want to know whether to buy a 2014 Subaru Legacy