Q: I've had my car for 1 year as of August. The dealer is now saying the clutch disc is worn out. Is this really possible?

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed the engine revving higher after shifting. I thought at first it was just loosening in the car over time and perhaps I didn't notice at first, but I decided to take it in this weekend. Unfortunately, on the way home from work the revving after shifting went from an extra 500 rpm to 1500-200 rpm and the clutch started to occasionally lose pressure (though it would come back after a minute). I also noticed at this time that the car's shift light was starting to tell me to shift up while in top gear. Today, the mechanic got back to me and said that the only thing they found was that the clutch disc was worn out. Now, I am not the best driver, but everything I can see is I would be hard pressed to ruin a clutch after 24K miles. Also, I only had symptoms for 2 weeks and I would expect to notice slipping more than 5 miles before failure. I do not ride the clutch. I do use half clutch to get into 1st. Thoughts?

I have seen some clutches only last less than 12,000 miles and all due to the way the customer drove the car. The clutch would of failed in less than 3,000 miles if it was a defective clutch. The only thing that can cause this issue is the clutch or pressure plate.

• I've had my car for 1 year as of August. The dealer is now saying the clutch disc is worn out. Is this really possible?