Q: I think dirty MAF

asked by on October 17, 2016

My lancer has been acting up lately, when I am at a full stop or going up a steep hill the engine stalls and seems like it doesn't have power, the gas gets cut off and only when I let go of the gas pedal and proceed slowly will it change gear fine, the car would run fine at high speed. It also starts fine. After I turn off the car the fan will stay on for a while also.

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

This may be a sign of a failing mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor is a unit in the intake system that monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this fails, this can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which often times results in the engine starving for air or fuel. This is what causes the hesitation or loss of power you describe. This can also cause the engine to struggle to idle for the same reason. If you would like to have this taken care of, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling problem and assisting with proper repair.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr