Q: I put 2 quarts of engine oil too much in my car possibly, then a hour later engine came on indicating 02 sensor (bank 2, sensor 1)

asked by on August 19, 2017

Hello,

I put 2 quarts of engine oil too much in my car possibly, then a hour later engine light came on indicating 02 sensor (bank 2, sensor 1). Will putting too much oil cause light to come on, indicating 02 sensor code? Will just draining it/getting a oil change turn engine light off? Can I still continue to drive it? Thank you

Hi Colette. It is very difficult to say for certain if the added oil is what triggered the error code you have described. The O2 sensor is attached to the exhaust system, so added oil should not impact the exhaust from the vehicle. It is likely a coincidence. In regards to the oil issue, trying to drain (a little oil) is incredibly difficult to accomplish without spilling and being 100% accurate. In cases like this, I prefer to drain the oil, replace the filter and start from scratch. Either way, draining the oil will not delete the engine light. It’s best to have a professional mechanic complete a check engine light inspection to determine what is triggering the light, make the correct repairs and reset the code.