Q: i need to know the key sequence to get the check engine codes

asked by on November 22, 2016

there is supposed to be a certain way to turn the ignition key in order to get the check engine codes

Hello. The old style of retrieving codes was indeed done by turning the key on and off again. However vehiles manufactured after 1996 are equipped with OBD-II diagnostic systems. This means the driver or technician can acess and even control some of the computers settings and codes using a scan tool. You will need to have the vehicle hooked up and read by one of these scan tools. This can be done by any technician, or even at most of your local automtive parts stores. They will typically do this service for free and give you a print up of the codes and what they stand for.