Q: I recently replaced the starter and now my check engine light is on in my 1999 Nissan Maxima

asked by on February 06, 2017

I just replaced the starter on my maxima but before that's my check engine light came on 2 weeks ago after the started was replace it was tested and the vehicle was test started at first it was difficulty to start but did aventuly started so it was going to be test driven when the vecichle was put into gear it stapled out this was tried many times with different techniques but they all failed is this a sign of a bad converter also under the vechile along the tail pipe and muffler it glows red to the point of catching on fire

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. The starter should not have anything to do with the check engine light. Since the check engine light is on I would scan the computer for codes. I am assuming that the engine has a serious misfire, which can be caused by a number of things, or it is running lean possibly from a fuel system issue. Both will cause the vehicle to run like this and the exhaust to get very hot. I would start by checking the computer for codes. If you are planning on having this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the check engine light is coming on] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/check-engine-light-is-on-inspection