Q: Power steering

I just replaced my power steering pump and my car was still making a screaming noise then he told me to drive around and the air should leave out. My steering is still a little hard and he says I need a rackin pion . Should this been told to meat first
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hi There, If the rack and pinion system is not working properly, this may also cause the power steering pump to fail. A likely course of diagnosis by your mechanic could have been checking the power steering pump first as this is more likely to fail typically than the rack and pinion system. The power steering system operates on very high pressurized hydraulic pressure (in some cases as much as 300 psi). As a result, the pump works very hard to maintain the ability to assist turning your steering wheel and when the pump is overworked due to the rack and pinion not pump fluid properly or potentially due to pinched fluid lines, this may cause it to leak. When this happens, as the pump loses fluid it may cause it to squeal or whine as a result of inadequate fluid. The lack of fluid will cause the hydraulic pressure in the system to drop and you may notice the steering becoming a bit more stiff when turning the wheel. Power steering leaks are fairly common, but should be looked at immediately by a qualified mechanic as power steering fluid can be flammable especially when under extreme pressure. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your power steering system.

3. Power steering