Q: I just changed out my throttle body and now my car idles ok in reverse but stalls in drive. Could this have something to do with the throttle sensor?

My car goes right when i put it in drive but when i put it in reverse it just idles.

Hi there. If you are stating that your car will not go in reverse, and that this occurred after you replaced the throttle body; it’s very difficult to pinpoint what might have caused this without being there to inspect your vehicle. Sometimes when a major component like a throttle body is removed, multiple sensors and electrical connections are loosened or taken off. It is possible; although highly unlikely that a transmission sensor may be loose or damaged. The only way to know exactly what’s causing this issue is to have a professional mobile mechanic complete a transmission inspection or taking your Ford Explorer to a transmission specialist.

Hello. Your issue is likely related to your transmission. Usually when a torque converter goes bad it will cause the engine to shut off when the transmission is put into gear. Torque converters are designed to spin freely until it’s commanded by the user to engage the engine to the torque converted to the transmission which would cause your wheels to spin. But if it’s torque converter is locked up the engine will not be able to produce enough power to turn it so the engine stalls out. That could be why it cuts off when you change gear. The torque converter is likely able to spin one way(fowards) but it likely has a mechanical malfunction where it can’t go in reverse. Sometimes a transmission fluid flush will get the torque converter moving in both directions again if it’s not too late. If you would like to void out the throttle position sensor as a problem a technician with a scan tool capable of live data viewing will be able to use that to test and observe the throttle position sensor.Or if a scan tool is unavailable a multimeter can be used.

3. I just changed out my throttle body and now my car idles ok in reverse but stalls in drive. Could this have something to do with the throttle sensor?