Q: I have to manually open the throttle plate to start my truck. What causes the throttle plate to stay closed?

To start truck maually have to open throttle plate the minute I am not holding open it dies.once throttle plate open it idles fines.I cleaned throttle body and checked for vacuum leaks could it be the idle air control sensor? Or the throttle cable needs to be reset?

This suggests you may have a bad throttle control actuator. This is a module near the intake that operates the opening and closing of the throttle plate. This works in conjunction with the throttle position sensor which monitors your gas pedal position. When the electronic throttle control actuator is not working properly, this will cause the type of problem you have where the throttle plate will not move according to the inputs from the throttle position sensor.

I would recommend having an expert, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home to determine why your car is starting and then dying in the way you have described, and what problems there may be with the throttle.

3. I have to manually open the throttle plate to start my truck. What causes the throttle plate to stay closed?