Q: I have oil leaking from my car I had a estimate done on it last week and told me to replace the whole crankshaft.

I have oil leaking from my passenger side and I took it to one mechanic and told me to replace the crankshaft and the pulley but also took it to 2 more mechanics and they both told me the timing gasket so im just unsure about what to do

A: Hi there. With a car of this age, it should...

Hi there. With a car of this age, it should be highly unlikely that the car would need the crankshaft replaced as this is typically something that does not fail unless under catastrophic conditions. There are a number of places your car could be leaking oil from such as the oil pan, the oil filter housing, a valve cover, the timing cover or a variety of other places where hoses and fittings connect. If two mechanics are telling you that it’s the timing gasket and one is telling you that it’s the crankshaft, I would take the car back to the mechanic that suggested the crankshaft and ask to provide their reasoning and any evidence for the oil leak there. Then take it back to one of the timing gasket mechanics and ask them to provide evidence for the timing gasket leaks. You may want to bring the car into one more expert to inspect the oil leak. YourMechanic can confirm the needed replacement by diagnosing the oil leak firsthand.