Q: I have a problem with my Hyundai Tucson 2007, the rear left brake rotor is wearing only half an inch from its center

I have a problem with my Hyundai Tucson 2007, the rear left brake rotor is wearing only half an inch from its center (inside and outside face). I have checked the left rear brake pads (in and out), I cleaned the caliper and the caliper mounting bracket, the pad retainers and the brake pads still rub only on the inner brake rotor. The brake rotor is rusted 1 inch from the outer edge on the inside and the outside. What could be the problem?

A: Hi there. The brake pads contacting only th...

Hi there. The brake pads contacting only the inner portion of the brake rotor is unusual. It would be important to consider whether the brake rotor was machined or replaced at the time of brake pad replacement. It may be a brake caliper issue although not likely. If the rotor was machined or replaced at the time of brake pad replacement, measure the thickness of the rotor towards the center and towards the outside edge. If it’s thicker towards the center, have the rotor machined. If the problem persists. I recommend having a brake inspection performed by a certified technician in order to have this resolved.