Q: I have a pontiac grand prix. It will start when I turn the key but immediately dies. It will not pull a code when we test it.

My car will turn over, but immediately dies. It does not have any lights on or pull a code when it is tested.

A few different things will usually cause the vehicle to start and then die. A bad ignition coil can cause this if it is beginning to fail, resulting in intermittent starting problems. A dirty or faulty mass air flow sensor, may also cause this kind of reaction. The mass air flow sensor is a unit that measures the volume of air entering the motor and relays this information to the computer in order to cause the computer to make the proper air/fuel adjustments. A bad fuel pump or fuel pump relay may also cause this kind of starting issue as a result of the engine starving for fuel. Additionally, a vacuum leak may cause this to happen as well. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle to determine the proper solution to this.

3. I have a pontiac grand prix. It will start when I turn the key but immediately dies. It will not pull a code when we test it.