Q: I have a metal knocking noise when I am in gear and pull away. I had a new gearbox and clutch a year ago.

the metal knocking noise resembales the sound that is made when you put a stick in moving fan blades but metalic sound but it comes and goes and i dont know what it is but i had a new gearbox and clutch put in a year ago roughly, the sound is only when in gear and accelerating not when sat ideal

Hi there. The noise could be a pilot bearing, clutch release bearing, or a universal joint. Check to see if the noise occurs when the clutch is applied or when the clutch pedal is moving. If there is no sound when the clutch pedal is moving or applied, then the noise could be coming from a universal joint on the driveshaft. Check the driveshaft for excessive play and see if the universal joint has any power coming off it. A universal joint will cause a clicking or metal to metal noise when the grease burns up and makes the bearings in the caps turn to dust. This gives the universal joint movement to jerk around when the vehicle is put into gear and when the vehicle is accelerated. If the universal joints are good and tight, then the noise could be coming from the transmission (gear box). I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose the metal to metal contact noise that your vehicle is emitting.

3. I have a metal knocking noise when I am in gear and pull away. I had a new gearbox and clutch a year ago.