Q: I have a friend who recently bottomed out on a small rock in their friends driveway and the shop now tells him the transmission is bad Chevy Cobalt

It was cold out to and the car was not warmed up maybe 28-30 Fahrenheit

Hi - yes, it is certainly possible to ruin a transmission by running over a rock or other "unmoving object". If the fluid leaked out, the transmission could be damaged in minutes. If the transmission case itself struck the rock and broke the case - game over. Replace the transmission. I would recommend a transmission inspection to validate the diagnosis by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. I have a friend who recently bottomed out on a small rock in their friends driveway and the shop now tells him the transmission is bad Chevy Cobalt