Q: I have a Ford Triton 5.4L Engine with a loud knocking noise,

From doing some research and talking to a local dealer a while back I know that the 5.4 Triton Engine is bad and the camshaft phaser needs to be replaced in this engine. I would like to know if the replacement solves the problems with the engine and also does that eliminate the stuttering in the engine at high speeds? Basically, is it worth fixing ?

A: The camshaft phaser can cause the noise you...

The camshaft phaser can cause the noise you describe and also the drivablity issues. I would certainly fix it. There is a cam phaser lockout kit available and I would recommend using the kit instead of replacing the phaser. The people I know that have the lockout installed love it. You may still have the Check Engine Light on due to the phaser not being operational, but increased fuel mileage and power are a good trade. If you are not comfortable with the repair, a certified technician, like one from, will be able to diagnose the noise in your engine and install the kit for you.