Q: I have a 2006 Cadillac STS that will only shift from park to reverse

I have a 2006 Cadillac STS that has been parked since July. It was working fine when we parked it, now it will only shift from park to reverse and seems to get stuck. What could have caused this problem, being that it was shifting perfectly fine before it was parked and even shifted fine when it was driven to the carwash and to get gas

A: Hello. A transmission that will not shift ...

Hello. A transmission that will not shift into gear can be caused by a few different things. A few common causes are a locked shifter, low or contaminated transmission fluid, or a failed transmission component. A locked shifter can occur for a variety of reasons, and will prevent the transmission from shifting. The mechanism can be released by inserting the key into the shift lock slot, usually located near the shifter. Another thing to look at would be the transmission fluid. If it runs low or becomes excessively dirty it may cause the transmission to experience all sorts of issues, including shifting problems. The same with a failed transmission component. If one of the components, such as a shift solenoid or transmission sensor, fails, they can prevent the transmission from shifting properly. In some cases they may even prevent the transmission from shifting at all. It may also be possible that there is some sort of internal transmission issue causing the problems. As these sorts of transmission related issues can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the cause of the shifting problems.