Q: I have 2011 dodge avenger 2.4l R/T I have recently put a new battery and alternator in the car but it randomly loses power. I am s

asked by on March 11, 2017

I have 2011 dodge avenger 2.4l R/T I have recently put a new battery and alternator in the car but it randomly loses power. I am suspecting a parasitc draw but am not sure how fast it can drain my car. It will only take a charge strong enough to get dash lights and window locks to work and starter to click...please help me!!!!

Battery is dead Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. If the vehicle is loosing power while it sits and is off, then a parasitic draw would stop it from starting. If you have excess draw while the vehicle is running, you will want to check the ratings on your battery and alternator and make sure not only are they rated for your vehicle, but are up to spec. You also will want to make sure all of your battery terminals, cables, and ground connection are all clean, dry, and tight. You can also do a basic parasitic draw test on the battery to see if there is something pulling any power. You will need a multi-meter or an ohmmeter to do that sort of testing. This is first done to the battery to see what amperage is being drawn (in milliamps), and then move to the fuse box to find out what system its coming from. For more help with testing the charging system and for a parasitic draw, contact our service department.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr