Q: Smoke issue

I had my valve cover and gasket changed.but from all the oil that had leaked I still have a little smoke coming out tailpipe. How can I clean oil oil from old leak to stop smoke from exhaust?

Hello. In most cases oil from a leaky valve cover gasket should not result in smoke coming from the tailpipe. Smoke from the tailpipe is usually a sign that either oil or coolant is being burned inside of the engine, or is simply steam from condensation built up in the exhaust. If it is smoke that comes as a result of oil contact with the exhaust manifolds, then the smoke should go away after the oil residue burns up completely. If it was a substantial amount of oil that was leaking then this may take several drives before it completely goes away. You may be able to clean up the oil with water and a suitable detergent. If the smoke does not go away, even after cleaning the area, then it may be possible that there is an oil leak elsewhere, or something else is causing the smoke. if you are unsure, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the cause of your smoke issues](https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/smoke-from-engine-or-exhaust-inspection).