Q: I don’t think my power steering is working

I drive a 2006 Honda Odyssey and lately I have had a problem with the power steering. When I turn left or right, it emits a loud groaning noise. I am worried that my steering performance will drop or it will completely fail. This van just passed 65,000 miles and I am not looking to pay for any major repairs just yet. Is the pump toast or can it be serviced?

A: On the 2006 Honda Odyssey, the power steeri...

On the 2006 Honda Odyssey, the power steering noise usually happens after running the car 25 to 30 minutes. It has been a common issue on the 2005-2008 model years, and most of the time it is caused by the power steering pump. Its replacement corrects the noise, but there are other things that can be done before replacing the steering pump. First, perform a complete fluid flush of the power steering system. If the noise is still there, Honda recommends replacing the power steering pump reservoir with another reservoir as per TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) SB 07-005 that was updated in august of 2009 to include the 2008 model year. Per the complaints reported to Honda, close to 50% of the known corrections were through replacing the power steering pump. Have a professional like YourMechanic come out to you and perform an inspection diagnosis. They can pinpoint the exact issue and reduce the amount of steps and cost required to fix the problem. For all of the concerns, completely flushing the old fluid out of the power steering system and starting with new fluid is recommended.