Q: I can't get up to speed, the rpms ramp up, but the speedometer doesnt

I have a 2002 Hyundai sonata with a MANUAL transmission. What happens is that when I am in low rpms in any gear and try to accelerate, the rpms go up, but I don't pick up speed. If I very slowly accelerate, I can get up to speed, but it is dangerous in traffic, and I have trouble getting up hills. I thought it was a clutch issue, but it will do the same thing, even if I'm in 5th gear. I drove a 600 mile trip two weeks ago, and even after I'd been driving 75 mph for hours, it would still do the same thing if I tried to speed up to get around a semi. Is this a timing belt? Please help, I know next to nothing about cars....

A: This is a clutch that is slipping. Anytime ...

This is a clutch that is slipping. Anytime your engine revs up and the vehicle does not increase speed the clutch is slipping. You may have a clutch disc that is worn. Otherwise there may be an oil leak from the engine or transmission which could be getting on the clutch disc which is causing the slip.

You will need to have the transmission removed and have clutch inspected for the cause of failure and replace the assembly as necessary.

If you need help with getting this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to you to diagnose your acceleration issue firsthand and help you fix it accordingly.