Q: I believe my thermostat needs to be replaced

My 2004 Durango is running hot consistently, if i sit idle long enough while driving/sitting in traffic it will go all the way up the dial and turn on the sensor. I had the water pump replaced 3 yrs ago, so i hope that isn't the issue. My heat/air conditioning goes in and out, so I'm thinking may be the thermostat. What do you think?

Hi There, It definitely sounds like you have a faulty or sticky thermostat. As you may know, the thermostat regulates the flow of the coolant in your car’s engine and controls when the coolant flows in and out of the motor from the radiator by opening and closing at specific temperatures. When your thermostat is not working properly or is stuck closed, this will not allow the coolant to properly circulate through the engine, which may cause the engine temperature to fluctuate erratically or in some cases just remain hot. When you leave from the stop light, additional air passes through the motor causing it to cool back down slightly. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your cooling system.

3. I believe my thermostat needs to be replaced