Q: i been riding my car without a gas cap for a week now and i think trash and dirt is in my tank due to the fact its puttin and misf

My car is putin and misfireing due to riding without a gas cap. What should i do to get my car back to normal

A: Hi there, thank you for writing in, The fi...

Hi there, thank you for writing in,

The first thing you should do is replace the missing fuel cap, and see if the situation improves. It’s not likely running poorly because of debris in the tank, but rather because the fuel cap being off has created a fault in the engine control module, and the system may be trying to compensate for this fault. After replacing your fuel cap, you will need to have someone with a professional scanner clear the faults in your engine control module. If replacing the fuel cap doesn’t improve the situation, I would suggest having a professional technician, such as one available from YourMechanic, diagnose the cause of your rough running condition.