Q: I am leaking antifreeze

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed antifreeze leaking from my car. It does not leak while I am driving, but it will leak if I leave my car sitting for longer periods of time (usually longer than 8 hours). I am wondering how I can pinpoint whether the issue is an old water pump or if it is just some old, leaky tubing. I'd like to note that my water pump was last changed around 75k miles ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. I’d be happy to help.

You can make a note of where you notice the leak, then have a mechanic come to pressurize the cooling system and isolate the leak for you. The water pump or gasket to the thermostat may be the leak. I recommend having it looked at before further damage is caused by overheating the engine.

If you’d like, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.

3. I am leaking antifreeze