Q: how to change the ignition lock cylinder

this morning my vehicle was broken into, and whoever tried to steal it damaged the ignition lock cylinder... i need to fix this, because it is the only form of reliable transportation i have.

A: If the thief damaged the key cylinder or ho...

If the thief damaged the key cylinder or housing then this will be a bigger job than most non-mechanics can do. If the key still goes in and works, you can replace the lock cylinder by disconnecting the battery, disabling the air bags, removing the under steering wheel cover, and the top and column covers.

Turn the ignition key to the "on" position and use an allen key or small screw driver to push in the lock retainer on top of the column through a small hole. Pull out the old key cylinder and put in the new one in the same position as the one taken out, lining up the slots. Once it is in, turn the key back to off. Install everything that was removed and you should be good to go.

If you feel as if you cannot do this yourself, feel free to reach out to a certified mechanic who can change out your lock cylinder at your own convenience.