Q: How many miles to drive

My car did not pass smog. The diagnostic test resulted in me needing a canister. The canister has been installed. How many miles should I drive it before retesting?

If you had codes in the system and they have been cleared, the car has to be driven enough that the self-test monitors have run. Your car executes a number of self tests for different parts in the system and each one occurs under a specific set of conditions. So it’s not a fixed number of miles you need to drive, what you need to do is operate the car under a variety of conditions: a mixture of in-town and highway driving. What you want to do is get the fuel level to about half a tank. If the car is full, drive it until you are down to half a tank, if it is empty, fill it about half way. The reason for this is that the canister self test won’t run on a full or an empty fuel tank. So if your tank is at about half full, a day of driving around your normal routine will probably do the trick. If you continue to have trouble with your emissions test, you can contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office to check out your car and tell you what needs to be done.

3. How many miles to drive