Q: How Long Will My Fuel Tank Last?

How long will my fuel tank last?

A: When considering how long your fuel tank wi...

When considering how long your fuel tank will last, you need to consider what the tank is made from. Older fuel tanks were primarily made out of metal and would tend to rust out either internally or externally over time. This was in part due to the fact that the older in-ground fuel tanks at stations were metal and they would rust out, allowing for water to contaminate the fuel supply. Some vehicles with metal tanks used an inner bladder to hold the fuel and the external tank to hold the bladder.

Modern vehicles use composite plastic tanks which eliminate the rust factor. Factors that cannot be accounted for include outside damage due to running over something on the road or accidents. Improper mounting or loose tank straps can also lead to damage. Generally a modern tank will last the life of the vehicle when considering how many years the average vehicle is kept for if no outside forces act to damage it. Like every other part of the vehicle the amount of use or abuse can shorten the lifespan of the tank.