Q: How long can it take an ECU computer to go bad?

I purchased a car from a used car dealership and after a month and a half the car became inoperable with oil leaks, needed 6 new spark plugs, six new engine coils and a brand new ECU computer. Is there anyway that this could have been all caused in a month and a half?

Hello, and thank you for writing in. The vehicle likely did not suddenly develop all of these problems. Oil leaks in particular happen due to excessive engine wear. The spark plugs and their coils tend to be regular maintenance with the age and mileage of the vehicle. The engine control unit is a component that can last the lifetime of the vehicle, or develop issues after 100,000 miles. What causes them to fail is a bigger question. It typically comes from bad manufacturing, or some kind of electrical work done to the engine. With the issues you have been having, make sure that your cooling system is working correctly and has clean coolant. For more help with a general tune up or inspection of the vehicle, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. How long can it take an ECU computer to go bad?