Q: How long can I drive on a worn wheel bearing

Passenger side wheel bearing may be going out, according to the research I've been doing. Car has been really noisy for about 1-2 weeks. Can I drive another 1,000-ish miles? That's about how many miles I will need to go till I can replace it. Over the last few weeks though I probably haven't driven it more than a few hundred miles.

Hi Melody. Thanks for contacting us tonight. Anytime a wheel bearing has been diagnosed as being loose or faulty, it’s important to have it replaced as soon as possible. A worn wheel bearing does not have enough lubrication to keep it cool. As the wheel spins, it will develop excessive heat and will eventually snap. This can cause the tire and wheel to fall off the car while you’re driving - which is incredibly unsafe. I can’t recommend driving the vehicle 1,000 miles, but you might want to have this issue diagnosed first by a professional mechanic - as it might be something different - such as a serpentine belt or pulley or other suspension components.

3. How long can I drive on a worn wheel bearing