Q: How do I turn the windshield wipers on and off?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do I turn the windshield wipers on and off?

If you drive in the rain, you’ll need to know how to operate your windshield wipers. In heavy downpours, you’ll switch to high-speed wipers to make it easier to see where you’re going. The windshield wipers are controlled by a lever on the right side of the steering column.

1. Grasp the top of the lever in your hand and move it one position downwards to turn on the wipers intermittently.

2. Move the wiper lever down two positions for low-speed movement and down three positions for high-speed motion.

3. Turn the wiper lever upwards to move the windshield wipers one time, which cleans off any moisture without continuous action.

4. Pull the lever towards you to activate the washer mist, which sprays fluid on to the windshield and cleans it. The wipers will activate for a few swipes to clean everything off.

Tip

Keeping your windshield clean keeps you safe as you drive. Have a mechanic check the fluid level periodically so that you don’t run out.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr