Q: How do I replace a 2002 Monte Carlo power steering line?

How to replace a 2002 montecarlo power steering lne

A: Hello. There are two lines associated with ...

Hello. There are two lines associated with the power steering pump. One of which is a high pressure line, while the other is a low pressure line. On your particular make and model, it is the high pressure line that typically has the most issues.

When preparing to remove and replace the line, you will want to remove the drive belt, raise the vehicle, and secure it on jack stands. Then you will want to prepare for a fluid loss by placing a drain pan below the power steering gear box. You will want to remove the driver’s left side tire to access the line and gear box.

Once you have the area set up, you may remove the high pressure line. One side will be connected to the pump, and the other side will be connected to the gear box. Once the line has been removed, you can replace it with the new line. You may want to start by connecting it to the pump side first when installing.

There are torque specifications for those lines when you reattach them that you will want to follow to spec. Once the new line is in, you can reinstall the other components removed in reverse order.

If you need assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our certified technicians can come to your location to service your power steering pressure hose. Best of luck.