Q: How do I know if my child is big enough to sit in the seats?

How do I know if my child is big enough to sit in the seats?

A: Very young children should always be secure...

Very young children should always be securely placed in child restraint systems. However, at some point, children are ready to graduate from a child restraint system and sit in a normal seat. Since children grow at varying rates, there is no particular age when your child is ready to sit in the car. Instead, determine whether your child is ready with these two easy steps.

1. Have them sit in a rear seat, with their back pressed firmly against the back of the seat. If their legs are not long enough to bend over the end of the seat, they are too small to sit in the seat of your car

2. Strap the lap and shoulder safety belt over your child, and ask them how comfortable they are. If they are not comfortable, they should still be using a child restraint system.

Do not let your children sit in the seats of your vehicle if they do not fit both of these criteria.