Q: How do I check the level of the brake and clutch fluid?

How do I check the level of the brake and clutch fluid?

Both your brakes and your clutch (if you have a stick shift) are hydraulic, and require fluid in order to operate. Checking the level of fluid in both reservoirs is important – low fluid can lead to component damage or even reduce your safety (low brake fluid reduces your stopping power). Here’s how to check them.

Brake Fluid:

1. Turn off the engine and open the hood.

2. Locate the master cylinder (it’s on the firewall, in front of the driver position).

3. Check the level of fluid in the reservoir. If it’s at or below the minimum line, top it off.

Clutch:

2. Locate the clutch fluid reservoir (should be close to the master cylinder).

3. Check the fluid level and if it is at or below the minimum mark, add brake fluid.

Tip

Use only DOT 3 heavy-duty brake fluid in your master cylinder and clutch reservoir.

3. How do I check the level of the brake and clutch fluid?