Q: How does the speedometer work?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How does the speedometer work?

Unless you’ve gone off the pavement and into the wild, you’re driving your car on a road with a speed limit. It’s important to follow those limits, not only because they’re the law, but because they help ensure your safety. The speedometer in your car helps you monitor how fast the vehicle is going.

The speedometer is the gauge on the right-hand side of the instrument cluster. It shows two rings of numbers. The outer ring (the largest) is your speed in miles per hour. The inner ring (the smaller of the two) is your speed in kilometers per hour. The select/reset knob is also located at the bottom of the speedometer.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr