Q: How do I change a tire if I have a flat?

How do I change a tire if I have a flat?

A: Spend enough time driving and it’s going to...

Spend enough time driving and it’s going to happen – you’re going to get a flat tire. It happens to all of us eventually. Knowing what to do will make the process less stressful and frustrating. Here’s what you should know:

1. Pull over safely and park away from traffic.

2. Park the vehicle on a level spot (make you’re on the pavement).

3. Put the car in park.

4. Put on the parking brake.

5. Turn on your hazard lights.

6. Turn the engine off (position 0 on the ignition).

7. Don’t let anyone sit in the car while changing the flat.

8. Locate the jack, spare tire and tools in the trunk.

9. Position the jack under the car on the jack point behind or in front of the affected wheel (depending on the position of the flat).

10. With the lug wrench, loosen each lug nut (but don’t remove them).

11. Raise the car on the jack.

12. Remove the lug nuts.

13. Remove the flat tire.

14. Install the spare.

15. Install the lug nuts (hand tight).

16. Lower the vehicle.

17. Use the lug wrench to tighten the nuts using a star pattern (don’t overtighten them).

18. Put the jack, tools and flat tire into the trunk.

19. Have the flat repaired or replaced.