Q: How can you tell if you need a canister replacement or a whole new emissions control system?

Check engine light came on. Went to local garage-ran test-says it is the emissions control system. How do I know if I have to eplace the whole system or just the canister?

The emission control system faults can produce many different codes and the code is used to do different pinpoint tests on the system to find the cause for the code and check engine light coming on. There may be a simple gas cap loose or one of the many components leaking in the system and needs further testing. There is no code to replace the entire emission system.

3. How can you tell if you need a canister replacement or a whole new emissions control system?