High RPMs no accelerating honda 2002 civic automatic tran...

Q: High RPMs no accelerating

asked by on November 20, 2017

So my Honda Civic has been giving me acceleration problems, it simply started with having trouble getting up hills and slow to go from stop. Then it went into jerking when I go from stop to accelerating with a disturbing clunkish noise. Yesterday as I'm driving along, I take my foot off the gas to go down a hill, then as I put my foot on the gas slightly my RPMS shoot to five but I get no acceleration. I take my foot off and try again and everything is fine until I take my foot off to go around a curve. When I put my foot back on the gas, the RPMS again shoot up with no corresponding accelerating. I finally make it to my street which has a small hill to go up, and my car just won't accelerate at all. I am able to reverse fine so I back into a neighbors' driveway and turn the car off. When I restart it, it start up fine, I shift into drive and am able to go forward with no problems. This morning I check my fluids and I have full transmission fluid. But no oil (it's been a while)

From what the descriptions you gave you may have more than one problem. If the engine is low on oil then top it off before driving it. The rpm flare is going to be a problem with the transmission slipping or no gear engagement. Since it is not a constant problem then it may be electrical or mechanical problem with transmission. You did not mention if the check engine light is on or not and suggest having the systems scanned for codes before a diagnosis can be given.