High RPM but Slow acceleration 1993 900 l4-2.0l turbo saab

Q: High RPM but Slow acceleration

asked by on August 16, 2017

First - car idles high at first start in the morning at 2000 rpm.

When I press gas pedal - RPM goes high but acceleration is very slow. I had RPM at 2 - 3rpm while it was still under 15 mph & slowly climbing.

It's not the transmission. I took a temp reading of CAT & at stayed around 250F front to back.

I had a YOURMECHANIC mechanic in person give me a diagnosis for other stuff and he suggested a tune-up. Car had a tune about a week ago - new spark plugs, wires, fuel injectors, IAC valve, MAF, fuel filter.

I'm thinking it's the CAT because it's 24 years old and prior to the tune-up it was misfiring and all the fuel was not burning. This may have caused an old CAT to get clogged up.

PLEASE - NO ambiguous answers.
Thank you.

Hi Giovanni,

Thank you for contacting us. We understand that you think it’s the CAT. However, form our end we cannot state that with 100% certainty. Is it possible that a clogged up CAT is the source of the high RPM and slow acceleration but it would also be inaccurate to state with 100% certainty that your transmission is not the source of this problem - unless you have removed it, fully inspected the torque converter, each seal or gasket and hydraulic line.

In order to further assist you with your repair needs, we will need to have a mechanic to physically inspect your car to have it correctly diagnosed. After the mechanic completes the inspection, he will give you a quote for the recommended repairs.

Please give us a call at 1-800-701-6230 between 6am to 5pm Mon-Fri and 7am to 4pm Sat-Sun PST so we can help you with your quote and booking your appointment.

Best regards,

Erick YourMechanic Customer Service Team