Q: High Idling - Just put in a new IAC Sensor

Hi,

I just replaced my IAC valve sensor. But when I start - the idling is at the 2 rpm mark. It seems to be staying up there quite a while.

Any ideas?

Thx

Hi there. Usually a high engine idle is caused by a vacuum leak. The first thing I would do is to check your SAAB engine to see if you have a vacuum line that is loose, split or has been removed from it’s attachment. If you don’t find one, have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a engine idle is high inspection.

Hello, and thank you for writing in. Replacing the idle air control valve was a good idea, but with the issue reoccurring you will want to focus on the throttle and the throttle position sensor. A vacuum leak will also cause the throttle to have to compensate for excess or lack of air flow. With the age of the vehicle, cleaning the throttle body should be done first, as it will improve the vehicle’s performance anyway, and can be done at home. Check for vacuum leaks after or during that process. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.