Q: High idling - 1993 Oldsmobile Delta 88

My car has been idling very high lately. The other day I was driving at 25 mph with no effort, so I had to keep applying the brakes. I tired to troubleshoot this by having the battery out and reconnected, but it didn't help. What should I do?

A: Hi there. The high idle could be caused by ...

Hi there. The high idle could be caused by a dirty/failed idle air control valve, a dirty throttle body/throttle plate, or vacuum leaks in the engine's intake system. To have the problem scoped out, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the high idle and have this corrected.