Q: Red Lightning Bolt in dash

asked by on June 05, 2017

I had the intake manifold changed yesterday on my car. It started fine in the morning. However, I sat in my car with the ignition on and ac and the car started shaking and a red lightning bolt popped on the dash. I'm guessing there's a vacuum leak somewhere? This wasn't there before he changed my part

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi There, The red lightning bolt indicates that there is a problem wit the electronic throttle control unit. This may be for a specific reason or may be due to a slight glitch. Try resetting the throttle control unit by doing the following:

Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" position but do not start the engine Wait for all the warning lights to go out. The check engine light may remain on. Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor. Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it is all the way back up at the rest position. Turn the ignition key to "OFF" position. Start the engine and test the throttle by see if the engine will throttle up.

This is often a procedure that must be repeated in the event the battery is ever disconnected. My will also want to have the computer scanned to check for any fault codes that may have been logged as a result of the lightning bolt showing up in the dash.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr