Q: Hi Jeffrey. I am about to buy a new car and I stand for between a Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS and a Mini Cooper S, both used, 2013-2014 w

Hi Jeffrey. I am about to buy a new car and I stand for between a Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS and a Mini Cooper S, both used, 2013-2014 with around 40k miles. Which one is the most reliable on mechanics and which is less costly to maintain and repair? (I assume Subaru has a great reputation). Thank you.

I would suggest checking the Kelly Blue Book website with specifics related to your zip code as market prices of cars vary by zip code. This will give you a baseline for determining whether or not the car is within a general range of the asking price. Secondly, as you know, with any car the life expectancy of it depends largely on the maintenance schedule the owner has maintained, the driving conditions it is subjected to, the driving habits of the owner and many other factors. Often times when a car has had internal damage or even slight cosmetic damage, it may be difficult to tell without looking closely or performing an in depth inspection. As with any vehicle, proper maintenance schedules are a key factor to prolonging the longevity of the vehicle and avoiding unnecessary costly repair bills due to neglecting proper maintenance intervals. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your location to perform a thorough pre-purchase inspection prior to making your purchase.