Q: hi! got new half-shafts aka drivetrain in the start of this year and now im getting vibrations when accelerating in second gear

got new shafts aka drivetrain in the start of this year and now im getting vibrations when accelerating in second gear, could it be that the half shaft are bad ?

Yes, start by checking for play in the shaft joints and check the motors mounts. If only one side is bad use chassis ears to isolate which side is causing the problem. If the half shafts were "bad" (as in imbalanced), you would have had this issue (vibration) from the beginning unless of course a balance weight fell off (if used, sometimes rubber dampers are installed on shafts). However, it is possible for the half shafts to wear and create excess clearance, particularly on inboard joints that could create your symptom under acceleration.

The question then becomes why did the CV fail prematurely? One overlooked area are the motor mounts - but this is less likely since the car is only 4 years old. If the motor mounts are broken, worn, misaligned, or sagging you will get vibration and shudder and that misalignment WILL also prematurely wear out your axles because your CV joints would not be working at the design angle (i.e., the load is in the wrong spot). Depending on how you drive and the miles on the car, check the motor mounts. Check the CV shafts for excessive play. If the problem is not the CV shafts, really any rotating component is suspect. If you need help with this, a technician from YourMechanic can inspect the vibration and help you make the correct repair.

• hi! got new half-shafts aka drivetrain in the start of this year and now im getting vibrations when accelerating in second gear