Q: Hi Brandon, I have a 2004 Camry V6 3.3 L will the pcv replacement fix excess oil consumption or am I looking at engine/ring/piston

excessive oil consumption. Saw sludge while replacing lower and upper oil pan gaskets. Runs well just a bit sluggish during pickup

The PCV valve can be visually inspected, and tested, once removed, to determine if it is, or was, functioning. If your engine is burning oil, and it turns out the valve was NOT functioning properly, and thus crankcase pressure was too high, there is no way to figure out "what percent" of oil consumption might be attributable to a failed PCV valve VERSUS the other principal causes of oil consumption, namely oil leaks past the valve guides and valve stem seals and the piston rings. If you test the compression of the engine cylinders, you can get an indication of whether the rings are worn. If you have excessive oil consumption, I would check the PCV valve and perform the compression test. If compression is good, installing new valve stem oil seals can reduce oil consumption. As far as the degraded acceleration, there is no reason for that on an engine with merely 90,000 miles and so that issue should be diagnosed in an acceleration diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Hi Brandon, I have a 2004 Camry V6 3.3 L will the pcv replacement fix excess oil consumption or am I looking at engine/ring/piston