Q: Heat isn't working.

My a/c went out summer 15. I never was able to get it fixed due to income and just being a single mom . It's. Now Jan 17 my heat stop working yesterday 1/24/17 . I noticed a few weeks ago at a red light the heat was cold on a freezing day I thought the car hadn't had enough time to warm up so , I then turned the tempature knob completely off and then turned back on to heat side and heat began working normally. I assumed it's related to the knob being that the issue i had a week ago. I checked my coolant level it was low so I added more coolant (the proper amount max.) I thought the heat would then work and it hasn't. I don't know what else to do. I have to take my kid to and from school daily and I'm hoping it will be working by tomorrow morning so he's not freezing again. Please let me know of anything I can do myself that can help.

Common causes of no cabin heat include malfunctioning blend door(s) (part of the in-dash ventilation network), a faulty or stuck heater control valve, a plugged heater core, a stuck open engine cooling thermostat, collapsed hoses, and low coolant level. In your case, if the coolant level was low, there is of course a possibility that you have a leak. The cost to resolve the problem depends on which of the foregoing faults is the cause of the no heat. If you desire a diagnostic to determine exactly why there is no cabin heat, please request a non functioning cabin heater diagnostic and the responding mechanic will come right to your location and get this resolved for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.